Wednesday 19 September 2012

The Gifts of the Holy Spirit still Operates Today (Part 1)

My hubby (Mark) and I had dinner with a friend to celebrate his 29th birthday at &Made on Monday. I absolutely loved the ratatouille toastoo which transported me back to Greece with its generous filling of tapenade! Anyways, we had a good time just talking and enjoying each others’ company.

Upon request, I shared about the prophetic sessions our church had last week (I had invited him to join us for the activation workshop on Sunday but it coincided with his birthday celebration). In any case, he voiced his discomfort for things of the spirit and thinks he believes in the cessation of gifts in today's church. I, of course disagreed with him, but was unequipped to substantiate my point on the spot. I hope this will help me in my future discussions and perhaps yours too.


Argument 1: Cessation because the Canon has been completed

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. (1 Corinthians 13:8-10)

Cessationists' strongest scriptural defence is the above. They believe that the word "completeness" here is the completion of the canon. However, it is very doubtful that Apostle Paul to that. So, does "completeness" in this case mean we have no more need for knowledge, making bible studies, pastors and teachers redundant? Is our knowledge of God perfect today? The answer is clearly, no. Furthermore, I wonder whether Apostle Paul knew that there would be a completed version of the NT some day. I am in support of the view that the word “completeness” refers to the return of Jesus Christ as only Jesus can remove any imperfection or incompleteness.

Let's continue reading verse 12:

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And I would like to cross reference the above verse to:

Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.
 (1 John 3:2)

I believe that 1 John 3:2’s “when Christ appears” is the same as the “face to face” in 1 Corinthians 13:12. Prophecies and tongues, like knowledge, are incomplete because we live in a fallen world separated from God (2 Corinthians 5:8). It is only when Jesus comes again the full glory of our son-ship will be manifested and we shall have full understanding of God.


To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment